MULTICULTURAL RESOURCE PROGRAM ASSISTANT
If interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org
JOB DESCRIPTION: MULTICULTURAL RESOURCE PROGRAM ASSISTANT
SUPERVISOR: Multicultural Resources Program Director
SUPERVISES: Volunteers & Interns
Northside Community Resources (NCR) [formerly known as Rogers Park Community Council] is a non-profit organization which has been serving the Rogers Park community and the North side of Chicago for over 65 years. Our programs provide support services to community residents and families, including seniors, tenants and landlords, as well as immigrants and refugees. NCR is a long-serving, community service agency that works hard with compassion on behalf of all community members.
The Multicultural Resource Program (MRP) provides services and information in the form of resource referrals, advocacy, and empowerment to the members of immigrant and refugee communities residing in Chicago’s north side. Services include housing referrals, social service/public benefits application assistance, referrals to partner organizations and other community service agencies such as those providing legal assistance and housing law advocacy. MRP also works to provide avenues for civic engagement and participation with the goal of improving the quality of life for all city residents.
Specific Job Responsibilities
The Multicultural Resources Program (MRP) Assistant works under the direction of the MRP Director and assists in providing services to underserved, immigrant & refugee populations to aid in their settlement. The Program Assistant provides program support, with responsibilities which may vary from day to day (based on client’s needs) and likely involve one or more of the activities listed in the Program Services sections below.
MRP Program Services Include
- Providing bilingual, culturally-sensitive direct services and referrals to clients on topics which include: public benefits, housing, immigration, education, health services, and other vital human services.
- Conducting client intake and needs assessment of clients to determine eligibility for various internal and external programs, services, and public benefits.
- Occasionally accompanying clients to IDHS/Social Security Office to provide translation/interpretation assistance.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date client files and case notes to help meet grant requirements.
- Attending community meetings, conducting informational forums, workshops, townhalls and providing information on NCR and its programs and services.
Awareness & Outreach
- Creating awareness of NCR and the MRP by networking with other community organizations, businesses, churches, schools and other stakeholders to extend NCR’s network of resources for clients.
- Conducting outreach and disseminating information about NCR’s services through agency flyers, brochures, posters and informational meetings with other community stakeholders.
- Updating NCR’s social media outlets such as its website, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn to help increase the agency’s online presence and in disseminating program information.
Civic Engagement and Cross-Training
- Participating in civic engagement initiatives which involve issues related to immigrant/refugee populations.
- Helping coordinate NCR/MRP events, participate in speaking engagements on immigrant/refugee and other multicultural topics.
- Working with MRP Program Director to ensure contract compliance with MRP grant funders’ requirements.
- Providing bilingual support to other in-house staff, programs and assist MRP walk-in clients as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by MRP Director or Executive Director.
- Associates, Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Social Work or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Minimum of one (1) year of working experience in a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Strong communication skills with bilingual Fluency in Spanish is required (oral and written).
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and comfortable in communicating with limited-English speakers.
- Hands-on working experience with immigrant/refugee and low-income populations is a plus.
- Strong commitment to civil rights, multiculturalism, and immigrant/refugee issues advocacy is a plus.
- Strong planning and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Experience with gov’t based public benefits application processing knowledge is a plus.
- Computer literacy is required, with proficiency in MS Office applications: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ability to work flexible hours occasionally during evenings and/or weekends as needed.
Job Type: This is a Full Time (40 hours per week) Grant Funded and Exempt Position. Local Travel, standing, bending, or lifting up to 25 lbs may be occasionally required.
Salary Range: $30,000.00 to $35,000.00 /year plus benefits (Commensurate with experience)
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references to: email@example.com
NCR is dedicated to promoting equal opportunity employment. NCR is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in applying for employment with NCR and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a position or engage in any testing or the interview process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.